Sunday, April 29, 2012

They never promised me a rose garden...



There is also a small grove of some other kind of tree in the part of the base where the local Afghans operate their shops on Camp Nathan Smith. I often saw Afghan men sitting together, shoes off, enjoying tea and camaraderie or napping away an afternoon stretched out on  a slightly raised platform under those little trees. I never really stopped to look at the grove closely...somehow it felt mildly intrusive, so I made more of a forest perusal in passing than a tree by tree examination. At any rate, the carefully tended gardens on Camp Nathan Smith are quite lovely. Near the Afghan dwellings in the heart of the base, a lush, fragrant and long established rose garden flourishes. The main stocks of the rose bushes are at least 2 inches thick. Color me flabbergasted! The first time I saw it, I had to be literally dragged away. My color and scent starved senses remain thrilled to have found roses blooming in this harsh and inhospitable environment. They insisted I that all future meanderings, whether from office to warehouse, from DFAC to tent, even trips out to the ubiquitous little green house (portolet) be routed via garden or grove.

1 comment:

  1. The roses are wonderful! I think if people want rose gardens it is easier to make their own than wait for somebody to promise them one:)

    ReplyDelete