Sunday, April 29, 2012

Deserts and gardens...

One afternoon, we saw this little boy playing alone in the dirt with his helicopter just outside the base. He turned and noticed us up on our wall taking pictures and he waved and smiled. I found it a hopeful sign. Several of the children who live on Camp Nathan Smith are often seen helping their fathers in shops selling cigarettes, pirated DVDs and knick knacks to soldiers and civilians during the day -  two of the boys had their own little shops. I tried to chat them up a bit teasingly each time I saw them and eventually bought beaded bracelets for the grandgirls from them - three dollars worth I think. It is my firm belief that such enterprising spirits should be rewarded whenever possible. I was struck at the time by how very wizened the children look. Afghans are a small people generally and I suppose the texture of their skin might be the result of sun damage or poor nutrition, but I rather think it must be attributable at least partially to the life they lead. They have old eyes. I've seen no Afghan girls or women in my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment