Monday, May 7, 2012

Helicopters and luggage handlers...

So this is how I usually get from FOB to FOB.  The blue helicopter in the top picture is a Huey UH 1, according to Pete. He should know. They were using those birds back when he was in the Army during the Vietnam era. I have only flown in the Huey a couple of times - from Shindand to Stone and back. It flies for a contract company called Presidential. The white helicopter in the bottom picture is a Russian MI 8. That is what I call a Dynbird.There is room for about 10 people to sit inside the Dynbird and the portholes open up for ventilation. Both aircraft vibrate quite a lot during flight. Passengers are given disposable marshmallow earplugs to use during flight. We have to fly in full battle rattle - vest with ballistic plates front and back and a helmet. The vest weighs about 30 pounds with the plates in it. Personally I think it would make more sense to sit on the plates since it stands to reason any projectile threats would come from below. I enjoy the helicopter rides. I enjoy the bird's eye view of the Afghan landscape below. I won't miss the lack of luggage handlers, though...

1 comment:

  1. When we came home on home leave once, we were on a plane with disposable ear plugs. The guys behind us had them stuffed up their noses because of the awful smell coming from the restroom!

    ReplyDelete